Take a 10-night trip and discover the beautiful island of Borneo. Start in Kota Kinabalu, capital of the Malaysian state of Sabah, the "Land Below the Wind." Tour Kinabalu National Park and Mountain Garden. Your next flight takes you to Sandakan. Transfer overland to your lodge on the Lower Kinabatangan River and take a river cruise. Return to Sandakan and transfer to Selingan Turtle Island, where you might be able to observe turtles laying eggs or being released into the sea. Next, visit Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary. Later, fly to Kuching, where you visit an orangutan rehabilitation center. The next day, travel overland to Batang Ai and by ferry to your resort. A longboat ride along the Lemanak River takes you for a visit to an Iban longhouse. Finally, fly to Kuala Lumpur, visiting the National Mosque and the King’s Palace, before returning to the US. Starting from $3445, including air, with guaranteed weekly departures.
Day 1 - San Francisco/Kota Kinabalu
Depart via Singapore Airlines trans-Pacific flight to the Orient. Cross the International Date Line.
Day 2 – Kota Kinabalu
Arrive in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah’s capital, in the northern part of Borneo. Transfer to your hotel. (Hyatt Regency)
Day 3 - Kota Kinabalu
Drive to Kinabalu National Park, a World Heritage site, traveling two hours overland along the mountainous countryside, a botanist's paradise. Visit Mountain Garden, and enjoy a nature trail. (B/L)
Day 4 - Kota Kinabalu/Sandakan/Kinabatangan River
Fly to Sandakan and transfer overland through rustic countryside studded with villages. Arrive at Gomantang Caves in the heartland of the Gomantong Forest Reserve, and explore Sabah’s biggest bird’s nest cave. Continue the drive to Bilit Village, on the Lower Kinabatangan River and check into your lodge. A river cruise takes you in search of wildlife, including Proboscis monkeys. (Bilit Rainforest Lodge) (B/L/D)
Day 5 – Kinabatangan River/Selingan Island
After breakfast, return to Sandakan. Transfer by boat to Selingan Turtle Island, located off Sabah’s east coast. The island is the main nesting area for the Green turtles and Hawksbill turtles. After lunch, you may swim or snorkel. After dinner, observe turtles laying eggs, and perhaps the release of turtles into the sea. (Island Chalet) (B/L/D)
Day 6 – Selingan Island/Sepilok/Kuching
Return to Sandakan by boat and travel overland to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitaion Centre. Take a boardwalk through the lowland rainforest and witness the feeding of orangutan. Continue on for a visit to the Bornean Sun bear Conservation Centre. Transfer to the airport for a flight to Kuching, Sarawak’s capital, on Borneo's west coast. Arrive and transfer to your hotel. (Hilton) (B/L)
Day 7 - Kuching/Batang Ai
This morning, visit Semenggoh Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre. From here, depart for an overland journey to Batang Ai, passing by paddy/rice fields, pepper plantations and local villages, and stopping for lunch in the little town of Lachau. Arrive at Batang Ai Dam and ferry across to the resort. (Aiman Batang Ai Longhouse Resort) (B/L/D)
Day 8 - Batang Ai/Lemanak River/Kuching
After breakfast, depart for the Lemanak River and board native longboats to visit an Iban longhouse, where you have lunch and learn about local traditions. Depart for Kuching. (Hilton) (B/L)
Day 9 – Kuching/Kuala Lumpur
After breakfast at the hotel, transfer to the airport and fly to Kuala Lumpur. Arrive and transfer to your hotel. (Park Royal) (B)
Day 10 - Kuala Lumpur
Half-day city tour includes King's Palace, National Monument, Merdeka (Independence) Square, National Mosque, and KL Tower. (B)
Day 11 - Kuala Lumpur
Full day at leisure. (B)
Day 12 - Kuala Lumpur/San Francisco
Board Singapore Airlines flight and return to USA the same day. (B)
Scroll right for more info »»
|Departure Dates||Land & Air *|
|Land Only *||Single Supplement||January 6 - March 31
01/06 - 03/31||January 1-501/01 - 01/05|
- Land & Air prices are per person based on double occupancy for weekday travel. For weekend travel to and from the US (Fri, Sat & Sun), add $75 each way.
- Land & Air prices include government taxes and fees.
Scroll right for more info »»
- Round trip trans-Pacific airfare via Singapore Airlines coach class from San Francisco
- Local airfare, coach class, as per itinerary
- Round trip seat-in-coach airport transfers
- 3 nights stay in a double occupancy room at the Park Royal in Kuala Lumpur
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Hyatt Regency in Kota Kinabalu
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Hilton in Kuching
- 1 night stay in a double occupancy room at Island Chalet on Seligan Island
- 1 night stay in a double occupancy room at Hilton Batang Ai Longhouse Resort in Batang Ai
- 1 night stay at Bilit Rainforest Lodge in Sukau
- Extensive seat-in-coach sightseeing tours by coach/car/boat with English-speaking guide and admission fees per itinerary, including: half-day city tour of Kuala Lumpur; tour of Kinabalu National Park; tour of Semenggok Orang Utan Rahabilitation Centre; longboat ride on Lemanak River, including vist to an Iban Longhouse; visit to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Center; cruise on Kinabatangan River in search of wildlife
- Breakfast daily, 5 lunches, 3 dinners
- Hotel taxes and service charge
- Airline fuel surcharge (subject to change) and government taxes and fees
Rates do not include
- Any expenses of personal nature such as tips, laundry, table drinks, telephone calls, etc.
- Optional Travel Insurance
- Any item not mentioned above
- If listed hotels or Singapore Airlines are not available at the time of reservation, alternative hotels at the same category or airlines could be used. Prices may differ.
- During trade fairs season and during Christmas and New Year’s days, some hotels may require surcharges. The prices may increase.
- Ticket(s) must be issued and full payment must be received 90 days prior to departure
- Major credit cards accepted; credit card authorization required
- Change and cancellation penalty ($250-$600 per person) apply once ticketed; Pacific Holidays’ general cancellation policy applies
- Hotel upgrades, air upgrades, additional hotel nights, extensions to all Asian destinations, and add-on air fares from various US cities are available
For more information of these hotels, please click the hotel name.