Take a 12-night trip and journey to Mongolia, flying into Ulaanbaatar from Hong Kong. After a night in Ulaanbaatar, drive to Karakorum and visit a horse-breeder’s camp. The next day, travel to Bayangobi, a base camp along the sand dunes at the foot of the Hogno Khaan mountains. Return to Ulaanbaatar, where tour includes the 19th-century Gandantegchinlen Monastery. Then fly to the Yol Valley in the Gobi desert, known for its harsh environment but full of wildlife. Later, travel to the Hongor Sand Dunes, where you can enjoy hiking, trekking and sliding on the dunes. Afterward, travel to Bayan Zag, known as the Flaming Cliffs, to explore the “Cemetery of Dinosaurs.” Then transit through Ulaanbaatar to Hovsgol Lake and discover the local nomad’s lifestyle. Finally, return to Ulaanbaatar before connecting in Hong Kong for your flight back to the US. Starting from $7465, including air, with weekly guaranteed departures in June, July, August and September.
Day 1 - USA/Ulaanbaatar
Depart the USA on your Cathay Pacific Airlines trans-Pacific evening flight for Ulaanbaatar. Cross International Date Line.
Day 2 - Arrive Ulaanbaatar
Arrive in Ulaanbaatar and transfer to hotel. Tour Museum of Natural History and view a splendid collection of dinosaur exhibits. Evening city tour, including War Memorial at Zaisan if time permits. (Bayangol) (L/D)
Day 3 - Ulaanbaatar/Karakorum
Drive to Karakorum. Visit a horse-breeder's camp to explore the nomadic lifestyle, and have an opportunity for horseback riding on Mongolian wooden saddles. Overnight in ger at camp. (B/L/D)
Day 4 - Karakorum/Bayangobi
After breakfast at base camp, visit Erdene Zuu Monastery. Tour the monastery grounds and several chapels, view 16th-century Buddhist iconography, and visit Karakorum's symbolic ruins. After lunch, visit Buddhist temple Shanh Hiid. Drive to Bayangobi. The base camp along the sand dunes is the starting point for travel to the beautiful Hogno Khaan mountains. Leisure time for exploration. (B/L/D)
Day 5 - Bayangobi/Ulaanbaatar
En route to Ulaanbaatar, visit Hustain Nuruu (Pike Hustai) National Reserve Place to view Przewalski wild horses. Also visit Turkish graves, stone men statues, and the Ongot archaeological complex. Arrive in Ulaanbaatar in the evening. (Bayangol) (B/L/D)
Day 6 - Ulaanbaatar
Today's city tour includes the 19th-century Gandantegchinlen Monastery, Mongolia's largest and most significant monastery. Tour Megjid Janraisig temple, and view the mammoth Janraisig statue. Visit the Museum of National History of Mongolia and view displays on several millennia of Mongolia's history. Tour the Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts. Enjoy an evening folklore performance. (B/L/D)
Day 7 - Ulaanbaatar/Yol Valley
Fly to the Gobi Desert, one of the world's most famous and exotic areas. Known for its harsh environment, the Gobi is surprisingly full of wildlife, including the majority of Mongolia's Bactrian camels. Transfer to the base camp and visit Yol Valley National Park for a morning trek. Visit a camel-breeding camp for a photo opportunity and camel-riding session. Return to camp for dinner and overnight. (B/L/D)
Day 8 - Yol Valley/Hongor Sand Dunes
Drive to Hongor Sand Dunes, the largest accumulation of sand in Gobi Gurvan Saikhan National Park. Enjoy leisure hiking, trekking and sliding on the dunes. (B/L/D)
Day 9 - Hongor Sand Dunes/Bayan Zag
Drive to Bayan Zag, the Flaming Cliffs, to explore the "Cemetery of Dinosaurs" and the trail of Roy Chapman Andrews. Drive to base camp for dinner and overnight at a ger. (B/L/D)
Day 10 - Bayan Zag/Ulaanbaatar
After breakfast, fly to Ulaanbaatar. En route to the hotel, visit Bogdo Khaan Winter Palace Museum. Afternoon at leisure. (Bayangol) (B/L/D)
Day 11 - Ulaanbaatar/Hovsgol Lake
Fly to Moron town, one of Mongolia's most scenic areas. Transfer to ger camp at Hovsgol lake for overnight. (B/L/D)
Day 12 - Hovsgol Lake
Today explore the breathtaking shores of this beautiful lake. Discover the local nomad's lifestyle and visit a reindeer breeder's family. Free hiking and photo session along the shorelines, a home to wildlife and birds. (B/L/D)
Day 13 - Hovsgol Lake/Ulaanbaatar
Drive back to Moron town and fly to Ulaanbaatar. Remainder of the day at leisure. (Bayangol) (B/L/D)
Day 14 - Ulaanbaatar//USA
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your Cathay Pacific flight to to the USA. (B)
Scroll right for more info »»
|Departure Dates||Land & Air *|
|Land Only *||Single Supplement||May 24 - August 14||August 15 - October 5|
- Land & Air prices are per person based on double occupancy for weekday travel. For weekend travel to and from the US (Fri, Sat & Sun), add $50 each way.
- Land & Air prices include government taxes and fees.
Scroll right for more info »»
- Round trip trans-Pacific airfare via Cathay Pacifc Airlines coach class
- Local airfare, coach class, as per itinerary
- Round trip private airport transfers
- Private overland transfers with sightseeing stops as per itinerary
- 5 nights accommodations in a double occupancy room at Bayangol in Ulaanbaatar
- 1 night stay in a ger in Karakorum, Bayangobi, Yol Valley, Hongor, and Bayan Zag
- 2 nights stay in a ger in Hovsgol Lake
- Hotel taxes and service charges
- Extensive private sightseeing tours by coach/car with English-speaking guide and admission fees in each location as per itinerary: tour of horse breeder's camp, half-day tour of Karakorum, tour of Bayangobi, full-day tour in Ulaanbaatar with dinner and show, half-day tour of Yol Valley National Park with trek, visit to camel breeding camp, tour of Hongor Sand Dunes, tour of Bayan Zag
- Breakfast daily, 12 lunches, 12 dinners
- Airline fuel surcharge (subject to change) and air taxes
Rates do not include
- Any expenses of personal nature such as tips, laundry, table drinks, telephone calls, etc.
- Optional Travel Insurance
- Any item not mentioned above
- If above hotels or Cathay Pacific Airlines are not available at the time of reservation, alternative hotels at the same category or airlines could be used. Prices may differ.
- During trade fairs season and during Christmas and New Year’s Days, some hotels may require surcharges. The prices may increase.
- Ticket(s) must be issued and full payment must be received 90 days prior to departure
- Major credit cards accepted; credit card authorization required
- Change and cancellation penalty ($250-$600 per person) apply once ticketed; Pacific Holidays’ general cancellation policy applies
- Hotel upgrades, air upgrades, additional hotel nights, extensions to all Asian destinations, and add-on air fares from various US cities are available
For more information of these hotels, please click the hotel name.