Travel to Papua New Guinea on this 7-night trip. Arrive in Port Moresby and connect with a flight to Mt. Hagen. Transfer to your accommodations at Rondon Ridge, where you have a birding and nature tour around the trails. Next, transfer to your accommodations at Lake Murray, where you tour the island and learn about local crafts. The following day, fly to Karawari for a two-night stay and take a small riverboat to explore the villages along the jungle-fringed waterways. Then fly to Mt. Hagen, where you tour the Waghi Valley, seeing a mudmen's performance in their native village. Finally, transit through Port Moresby and Tokyo on your way home. Starting from $11,425, including air, with weekly guaranteed departures.
Day 1, Friday - Los Angeles/Tokyo
Depart from the US on Singapore Airlines trans-Pacific flight to Tokyo. En route cross the International Date Line.
Day 2, Saturday - Tokyo/Port Moresby
Arrive in Tokyo Narita International Airport and connect with Air Niugini to Port Moresby, the capital of Papua New Guinea.
Day 3, Sunday - Port Moresby/Mt. Hagen
Upon early arrival, connect with a short flight to Mt. Hagen. Transfer to Rondon Ridge. Morning at leisure. In the afternoon, take a half-day birding and nature tour around the trails (Rondon Ridge Lodge) (B/L)
Day 4, Monday – Mt. Hagen/Lake Murray
Today, transfer from Rondon Ridge to Kagamuga Airport for a charter flight to Lake Murray. You are met and transferred to the lodge. After lunch, tour around the island. (Lake Murray Lodge) (B/L/D)
Day 5, Tuesday – Lake Murray
A full-day tour takes you around this newly built location. The lifestyle of Lake Murray area is totally different from that of the highlands and the Sepik regions. See how local grass skirts are made and worn by native women and how traditional mats, used for sleeping and sitting, are woven from natural plants. (B/L/D)
Day 6, Wednesday – Lake Murray/Karawari
Transfer to Lake Murray airport for a charter flight to Karawari, which is located on a ridge overlooking the Karawari River in the Sepik region. Upon arrival, transfer by riverboat to the lodge. "Arambak" country is one of the most remote and unspoiled areas in the region. In a small riverboat, explore villages along the jungle-fringed waterways. Watch the people at Kundiman Village make use of the land in daily life, weaving baskets, and gathering, preparing and cooking their staple food from the Sago palm. (Karawari Lodge) (B/L/D)
Day 7, Thursday – Karawari
Travel by riverboat to selected villages for an opportunity to observe village life and customs, participate in typical daily activities, and see re-enactments of traditional ceremonies. Dugout canoes glide close to the riverbanks, and stilted villages appear suddenly beside the flowing water. (B/L/D)
Day 8, Friday - Karawari/Mt. Hagen
Transfer by riverboat from Karawari Lodge to an airstrip for a flight to Mt. Hagen. In the afternoon, tour the Waghi Valley and see the mudmen's performance in their village. (Rondon Ridge Lodge) (B/L/D)
Day 9, Saturday - Mt. Hagen/Port Moresby/Tokyo
Today, fly Air Niugini to Port Moresby. Upon arrival connect with your onward flight to Tokyo, where you overnight. (Narita Tobu) (B)
Day 10, Sunday - Tokyo/Los Angeles
Depart via Singapore Airlines flight to the US, and arrive home the same day.
Scroll right for more info »»
|Departure Dates||Land & Air *|
|Land Only *||Single Supplement||January 10 - March 31
01/10 - 03/31||January 1-901/01 - 01/09|
- Land & Air prices are per person based on double occupancy and include government taxes and fees.
- Land Only prices do not include airfare between Port Moresby and Tokyo or hotel in Tokyo.
- Minimum 2 participants
Scroll right for more info »»
- Round trip trans-Pacific airfare via Singapore Airlines coach class from Los Angeles
- Local airfare, coach class, as per itinerary
- Round trip airport transfers
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Rondon Ridge Lodge in Mt. Hagen
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Lake Murray Lodge on Lake Murray
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Karawari Lodge in Karawari
- 1 night stay in a double occupancy room at Narita Tobu in Tokyo
- Hotel taxes and service charges
- Extensive sightseeing tours by coach/car with English-speaking guide and admission fees in each location as per itinerary: birding and nature tour at Rondon Ridge, tour around the island and full-day tour around the area at Lake Murray, village exploration by riverboat in Karawari, tour of Waghi Valley
- 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 6 dinners
- Airline fuel surcharge (subject to change) and government taxes and fees
Rates do not include
- Any expenses of personal nature such as tips, laundry, table drinks, telephone calls, etc.
- Optional Travel Insurance
- Any item not mentioned above
- If above hotels or Singapore Airlines are not available at the time of reservation, alternative hotels at the same category or airlines could be used. Prices may differ.
- During trade fairs season and during Christmas and New Year’s Days, some hotels may require surcharges. The prices may increase.
- Ticket(s) must be issued and full payment must be received 90 days prior to departure
- Major credit cards accepted; credit card authorization required
- Change and cancellation penalty apply ($250-$600 per person) once ticketed; Pacific Holidays’ general cancellation policy applies
- Hotel upgrades, air upgrades, additional hotel nights, extensions, and add-on air fares from various US cities are available
For more information of these hotels, please click the hotel name.