Take a 12-night trip and travel off the beaten path to visit southern India. Start in Madras, where you see Fort St. George and the beautiful Bay of Bengal. Then take a train to Trichy, where you visit Brihadeeshwara Temple and Rajaraja Museum. From there, travel to Madurai and view the night temple ceremony at Meenakshi Temple. Next, travel to Periyar and visit the Wildlife Sanctuary, home to India’s tiger preserves, elephants, and bison. Afterward, travel to Kumarakom to visit the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. Then, travel to Cochin, known as the Queen of the Arabian Sea, and enjoy a kathakali dance. Next, travel to Mararikulam to enjoy the beaches and explore the local life in this rural setting. Finally, transfer to Bombay (Mumbai) and tour the Gateway of India, Hanging Gardens, and other sights before returning to the US. Starting from $3440, including air, with guaranteed weekly departures.
Day 1 - USA/Madras (Chennai)
Depart this evening from East Coast via Emirates Airways trans-Atlantic flight.
Day 2 - Madras
Arrive very early morning and transfer to your hotel. Afternoon tour including 17th-century Fort St. George, the National Gallery, and the waterfront marina promenade. (Pride/Leela) (B)
Day 3 - Madras
An hour's drive brings you to the temples of Mahabalipuram, on the Bay of Bengal. View the penance of Arjuna monumental bas relief, the Five Rathas stone sculpture, and the ancient Shore Temple. (B)
Day 4 - Madras/Trichy
Depart by train for a 5-hour ride across Tamil Nadu state to Trichy, and transfer to your hotel. (Sangam) (B)
Day 5 - Trichy
An excursion out of the city to Tanjore includes visits to Brihadeeshwara Temple and Rajaraja Museum. (B)
Day 6- Trichy/Madurai
Travel via road to Madurai, stopping for lunch at Karaikkudi. This evening, witness the night temple ceremony at Meenakshi Temple. (GRT Regency/Taj Gateway) (B)
Day 7 - Madurai/Periyar
Return for a daylight look at the imposing Meenakshi Temple, its ornately decorated towers, and its Hall of a Thousand Pillars. This afternoon, drive to Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, tiger preserves and home to elephants, bison, and rare spotted deer. (Forest Canopy/Spice Village) (B)
Day 8 - Periyar/Kumarakom
Take a boat ride on the lake to view wildlife along the shore and water birds. This afternoon, travel overland to Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. Transfer to your hotel by boat along the backwaters of Kerala state. (Backwater Ripples/Coconut Lagoon) (B)
Day 9 - Kumarakom/Cochin (Kochi)
Set out early this morning on a backwater cruise to view migratory birds. This afternoon, drive two hours to Cochin, the "Queen of the Arabian Sea." This evening attend a performance of kathakali dance. (Casino/Le Meridien) (B)
Day 10 - Cochin/Mararikulam
Transfer south along the coast to the fishing village of Mararikulam, and spend the balance of the day at leisure on the beach. (Turtle Beach/Marari Beach) (B)
Day 11 - Mararikulam
Full day of leisure allows time for lounging on the beach or exploring the local life. (B)
Day 12 - Mararikulam/Bombay (Mumbai)
Transfer to the Cochin airport, and fly to Bombay, India's industrial/ financial capital and perhaps its most cosmopolitan city. (Fariyas/Taj Mahal) (B)
Day 13 - Bombay
A motor launch takes you across the harbor to the island of Elephant and its sculpted caves. This afternoon visit the Gateway of India, Hanging Gardens, the bustling Crawford Market, Flora Fountain and the memorial to Haj Ali, a Muslim saint. (B)
Day 14 - Bombay/USA
Transfer to the airport very early this morning for your return flight to the US, arriving in the US the same day. Or take our 4-day Ellora & Ajanta Caves Extension. (B)
Scroll right for more info »»
|Departure Dates||Land & Air *|
|Land Only *||Single Supplement||January 11 - March 31
01/11 - 03/31|
|$990 FC$990 FC|
|$1960 D$1,960 D||January 1-1001/01 - 01/10|
|$990 FC$990 FC|
|$1960 D$1,960 D|
- Land & Air prices are per person based on double occupancy for weekday travel. For weekend travel to and from the US (Fri, Sat & Sun), add $75 each way.
- Land & Air prices include government taxes and fees. Hotels are FC (first-class) and D (deluxe), as indicated.
Scroll right for more info »»
- Round trip trans-Atlantic airfare via Emirates Airways coach class
- Local airfare as per itinerary
- Round trip airport transfers
- Overland transfers with sightseeing stops as per itinerary
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room in Madras, Trichy, Mararikulum, and Bombay
- 1 night stay in a double occupancy room in Madurai, Periyar, Kumarakom, and Cochin
- Private sightseeing tours with English speaking guide and admission fees: afternoon city tour and temple tour in Madras, half-day city tour of Trichy, temple tour in Madurai, Periyar Wildlife Sancuary Tour, two boat tours in Kumarakom, Kumarakom Bird Sancuary Tour, dance performance in Cochin, full-day tour in Mumbai
- Breakfast daily
- Hotel taxes and service charge include
- Airline fuel surcharge (subject to change) and government taxes and fees
Rates do not include
- Any expenses of personal nature such as tips, laundry, table drinks, telephone calls, etc.
- Optional Travel Insurance
- Any item not mentioned above
- If listed hotels or Emirates Airways are not available at the time of reservation, alternative hotels at the same category or airlines could be used. Prices may differ.
- First-class hotels (FC): Pride (Madras), Sangam (Trichy), GRT Regency (Madurai), Forest Canopy (Periyar), Backwater Ripples (Kumarakom), Casino (Cochin), Turtle Beach (Mararikulam), Fariyas (Bombay)
- Deluxe hotels (D): Leela (Madras), Sangam (Trichy), Taj Getaway (Madurai), Spice Village (Periyar), Coconut Lagoon (Kumarakom), Le Meridien (Cochin), Marari Beach (Mararikulam), Taj Mahal (Bombay)
- During trade fairs season and during Christmas and New Year’s days, some hotels may require surcharges. The prices may increase.
- Ticket(s) must be issued and full payment must be received 90 days prior to departure
- Major credit cards accepted; credit card authorization required
- Change and cancellation penalty ($250-$600 per person) apply once ticketed; Pacific Holidays’ general cancellation policy applies
- Hotel upgrades, additional hotel nights, extensions to all Asian destinations and add-on air fares from various US cities are available
For more information of these hotels, please click the hotel name.